A few comments/questions:

What does flex-box do when it runs out of room?  Doesn't it wrap to a new
row/column?  Or can that be controlled?  I think most folks expect
VerticalLayout to not create a new column but to keep going vertically and
be clipped or scrolled.

On the SWF side, I am hopefully going to get buy-in to unwrap the Sprites
again.  That's what the dual branch is all about.

+1 for lighterweight (one div) Container.  I thought we'd already done
something like that in one of the Item Renderers.  But Panel and other
ChromContainers probably need to extend Container because people expect
it, although I'd be fine if they both just implemented some sort of
IContainer.

As an alternative to flex-box, it is totally fine to have more than one
VerticalLayout.  One that tries to use display:block and another one that
runs a bunch of code and does position:absolute on everything.

In reality, how many of you use position:absolute or position:relative in
a real-world HTML/JS UI?  It still feels like we are going to end up using
it too much, but maybe that's what has to happen in order to solve some of
the common layout issues, like making one thing stretch to fill all
available space.

My 2 cents,
-Alex