Are you setting debug in an argument passed to asconfigc, like this?

asconfigc --debug=false

Or is it specified in asconfig.json in the compilerOptions section?

Both will work, but the asconfigc command line option will always override
whatever is in asconfig.json. In VSCode, the generated tasks.json now
defaults to --debug=true, so that could take precedence if you're trying to
set debug to false in asconfig.json. You might want to double-check both
locations (asconfig.json and tasks.json).

- Josh