Hi,

> That is the concern, but it may be that the developer was making a
> speculative change. If I were cleaning then I would do one of two actions.
>
> (a) Review the history of that change and see if the associated comments
> provide a reason.
> (b) Ask the developer who made the change.

Both are courses of action that I would take assuming the info in the VC
comments and/or the developer is still about. Sometimes that may not be the
case.

> Well Object is always THE base class. It may not be known what the actual
> base class should be and it is certainly not flexible to always create a base
> class just to have a one to satisfy the rule.

Nor would I suggest that. There are some cases where creating a new class with
properties is going to make sense, there other in where having the flexibility
of Object make sense. You may not be aware there a big difference between
Object and something that extends Object. Objects’s are dynamic and properties
(and methods) can be added at runtime but this comes at a performance cost.
Class that extend Object are not dynamic and you can’t do this and as a result
are faster.

> Justin - If you have clear performance results then please document them in
> the wiki.

Other people have already researched this and it’s well known AFAIK. For
example here's an old article by Alex [1] where for accessing properties
there’s a 20x performance increase. Obviously there’s a little more to it than
just that but more recent article also have similar results. Object can be
useful but it does come at a performance cost.

> Thanks. Do you know how to deactivate useless rules?

Yes.

1. http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui/2007/10/actionscript_readwrite_perform_1.html