Thanks Chesnay for raising this discussion thread.  I think there are 3
major use scenarios for flink binary distribution.

1. Use it to set up standalone cluster
2. Use it to experience features of flink, such as via scala-shell,
sql-client
3. Downstream project use it to integrate with their system

I did a size estimation of flink dist folder, lib folder take around 100M
and opt folder take around 200M. Overall I agree to make a thin flink dist.
So the next problem is which components to drop. I check the opt folder,
and I think the filesystem components and metrics components could be moved
out. Because they are pluggable components and is only used in scenario 1 I
think (setting up standalone cluster). Other components like flink-table,
flink-ml, flnk-gellay, we should still keep them IMHO, because new user may
still use it to try the features of flink. For me, scala-shell is the first
option to try new features of flink.

Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com> 于2019年1月18日周五 下午7:34写道:

--
Best Regards