It is not viable for us, as of right now, to release both a lean and fat version of flink-dist. We don't have the required tooling to assemble a correct NOTICE file for that scenario.

Besides that his would also go against recent efforts to reduce the total size of a Flink release, as we'd be increasing the total size again by roughly 60% (and naturally also increase the compile
time of releases), which I'd like to avoid.

I like Stephans compromise of excluding reporters and file-systems; this removes more than 100mb
from the distribution yet still retains all the user-facing APIs.

Do note that hadoop will already not be included in convenience binaries for 1.8 . This was
the motivation behind the new section on the download page.