Hi Godfrey,

having control over the job after submission is a requirement that was requested frequently (some examples are [1], [2]). Users would like to get insights about the running or completed job. Including the jobId, jobGraph etc., the JobClient summarizes these properties.

It is good to have a discussion about synchronous/asynchronous submission now to have a complete execution picture.

I thought we submit streaming queries mostly async and just wait for the successful submission. If we block for streaming queries, how can we collect() or print() results?

Also, if we block for streaming queries, we could never support multiline files. Because the first INSERT INTO would block the further execution.

If we decide to block entirely on streaming queries, we need the async execution methods in the design already. However, I would rather go for non-blocking streaming queries. Also with the `EMIT STREAM` key word in mind that we might add to SQL statements soon.

Regards,
Timo