I am failing to see where registerInterest(List<T> keys) is an issue for
the key type in the region. If our region is Region<String> then I would
expect registerInterest(List<String>). If the keys are unknown or a mix
then you should have Region<Object> and thus registerInterest(List<Object).

I echo John's statements on VarArgs and type erasure as well as his
argument for Iterable<T>.

Also, List<T> does not restrict you from List indexes. The region would be
Region<List<String>> with registerInterest<List<List<String>>().

-Jake