Slight clarification—the issue I mentioned is when a user builds Geode from the
source distribution.  The source distribution that the release manager creates
has the correct .buildinfo file, it’s just ignored by the build.  In short, the
release manager can’t work around the problem.

Does [1] help with this?

Anthony

[1] https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/2457