Okay.  So that information is definitely coming from the
GemFireVersion.properties file, which explains this issue.  Either
reverting the previous GEODE-5600 changes or resolving merge conflicts from
PR 2457 would address this issue.

My concern remains about the .buildinfo file, however.    Is the .buildinfo
redundant at this point and should be?  Should it always contain the
necessary information, with the GemFireVersion.properties file acquiring
the source information from .buildinfo rather than fetching it again
itself?  Is .buildinfo a convention in distributions with which I am just
myself unfamiliar?

The path we take here is fundamentally linked to how we want to approach
GEODE-5600, and with PR 2457 currently open, we could choose any of these
routes to go.