I'm not sure PR 2457 will help with an ignored .buildinfo, but I'm not sure
as to why .buildinfo would be getting ignored by anything, either.

PR 2457 deals with the still-needs-to-be-renamed GemFireVersion.properties
file and when it is generated.  Previously, it was whenever the git index
changed, which was too frequent.  Not it is whenever the source parameters
are passed on the command-line with the build, which has presented issues
outside the Concourse pipeline.  PR 2457 splits the difference,
regenerating the file anytime the SHA changes.

The only interaction with .buildinfo that I can see is that if the build
was run on a machine that was missing git, it would attempt to read values
instead from .buildinfo when creating the GemFireVersion.properties file.

I guess I don't fully understand the problem Anthony has called out.  Where
is it exactly that information previously gathered from .buildinfo is now
missing?  And are we certain that it was indeed pulling from .buildinfo and
not the aforementioned GemFireVersion.properties?