I'll dig into this deeper and come back with a proposal.

Aaron Mulder wrote:
	In order to do this right, I think we should define an interface
for web server request log access.  That interface should have a method
that searches the logs, like the server log GBean does, so rather than the
console code asking the web server for log files and then opening files
and scanning them, the console should pass a bunch of search parameters to
the web server, and the web server should identify and search its own logs
and just return the results to the console.  If the web server has
multiple logs, I guess it should have a method that gets a list of log
file names, so the portlet can let you select the log to query, and the
search method can take the log file name as a parameter.

	I have an outstanding task to rearrange the management interface
works for the web containers and connectors, so part of that can be
exposing the log manager or whatever we call the interface mentioned
above.  So after those changes, the code should look something like this:

J2EEServer server = ...
WebManager[] managers = ... server.getWebManagers();
(select Tomcat or Jetty WebManager to work with)
RequestLogManager log = ... managers[i].getRequestLog();
(do log stuff such as:
    String[] logFiles = log.getLogFiles();
    LogLine[] hits = log.searchLogs(logFile, start, end, maxRows, ...);
)

	To get started, perhaps you could propose an interface for the
RequestLogManager or whatever we call it, and look at how we could
implement that for Tomcat and Jetty.

Thanks,
	Aaron