This is part of our clean room implementation of JavaMail, so any of the mail client just uses JavaMail won't help us.

This one looks promising http://java-source.net/open-source/mail- clients/snowmail as it claims that "all protocols have been reimplemented from scratch (Mime, POP, SMTP)" and it is Freeware.

Maybe we can get them to extract the protocols, or donate them to Geronimo. Bruce do you have time to pursue this?

-dain

On Dec 3, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:

Hey Dain/Bruce,

Do we really need to write it ourselves??

The following link includes a few open source implementations of email
clients. If we can reuse them, then the effort can be used in some other
area.

http://java-source.net/open-source/mail-clients

Regards,

Rajith.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajith Attapattu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:31 PM
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: RE: Who wants to write POP and IMAP transports?

I am willing to help. But I may not have the time to do the research and go through all the specs in detail (Unfortunately I can only do stuff at
home at night and during weekends)

So if Bruce can help me with some pointers and simple documentation I
can start looking in to POP3. (sorry not very familiar with IMAP side,
so not realistic helping in that area)

So if Bruce can send me the links/docs ASAP (so I can make full use of
the weekend), I can get started right away.

I am looking for more specific info on protocol stacks and the models
(going by the guidelines provided by bruce)

Rajith.