In principal, I agree with your comments about minimal, default and custom
install, but I don't think this approach is necessary yet.
Once you have the opportunity to try the installer I think you'll see what I
mean.  I could explain, but "a picture is worth a thousand words" as they
say.
There really are just a few options to select.  Mixing and matching these
options into various configuration matrices might actually be more confusing.

--

Regards,

Erik