On Feb 2, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:

Hi David,

Thanks for the info, I myself not too familliar with Spring :-)
I asked the question out of curiosity.

Btw why did u integrate the spring tm? (like any special features that it provides)
Is it better than the default Geronimo transaction manager?
(I have heard that you can use spring tm standalone, may thats what u did, pls correct me if I am wrong)

Actually there is no spring transaction manager implementation in the sense of actually managing transactions.  Spring relies on other people for the actual jta implementation, such as the jencks project (wrapping the geronimo tm), JOTM, or the tm in a j2ee server such as WAS or WLS.  What I did was just wrap ours like the WAS or WLS tm is wrapped (except since my wrapper is single purpose it is somewhat simpler).

thanks
david jencks

Regards,

Rajith.

On 2/2/06, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Feb 2, 2006, at 4:42 PM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can somebody please clarify as to the extent of Spring support we
> have within Geronimo.
> I did read David Jencks comments on the JIRA issue, but couldn't
> grasp the overall context of the sping involvment within G.
>
> So I really appreciate a bit more background and more specific
> information on the topic.

I know that it is possible to run a spring app started from a servlet
init method in geronimo (namely jetspeed2).

We'd like to expose our services such as the transaction management
and connectors in spring.  I don't know much of anything about Spring
so I just barged ahead and implemented a spring-tm to geronimo-tcm
adapter.  If anyone knows how to determine how much it works, please
help out :-)

There's also the jencks project which has a different purpose.  They
are not running anything in the geronimo kernel, but rather starting
the geronimo jta and j2ca components in spring.  I don't think that
those components will be very useful for exposing components running
in the geronimo kernel in spring, but I could be wrong.

thanks
david jencks