inline..

--- Joe Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We've been struggling with build problems on windows for some time
> now
> and things just keep on getting worse.
>
> I'm composing this note to summarize the problems that I'm aware of
> with
> work-arounds and possible solutions.   I'm also fishing to see if
> anybody else has some ideas on how to resolve these issues.
>
> 1)  Windows pathlength problem.
> Problem:
> There are miscellaneous failures that can typically be tracked down
> the windows pathlength problem.  The nature of our repository
> structure
> and deployment make this a big problem.   It also seems like we're
> continuing to add more intermediate elements in path names as we try
> get things more organized and conform to Maven 2 conventions.
>
> Work-around:
> The work-around is to keep the windows root path as small as
> possible.
> I now typically build from a root path of c:\g to avoid these
> problems.
>
> Possible Solution:
> For a longer term solution I'm planning to work on a new repository
> implementation in 1.2 that that isn't as redundant or verbose.

  +1

  In the mean time could we warn our users that if they are using
windows, they should use a short root path. If everyone agrees, I would
like to edit the M2build page on cwiki.

> 2)  JSP compilation errors
> Problem:
> Embedded error: Unable to compile class for JSP
> Strange error message about JAVA_HOME, etc...
>
> Possible Solution/Work-around:
> Update the pom.xml in the root directory to use version
> 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT
> (from 1.4.4) for the jspc-maven-plugin.  Not sure if Jeff Genender is
>
> planning to make 1.4.5 an official release for this.  We're not sure
> why
> it gets us around the problem so it may be a red herring.

   I have seen this, but do not yet know why it happens. I would like
to comment out the following lines until the problem is resolved.

1. applications/geronimo-examples/pom.xml
      <module>geronimo-jsp-examples</module>

2. configs/pom.xml
     <module>jsp-examples-jetty</module>
     <module>jsp-examples-tomcat</module>
   These configs are not needed to start the server.

> 3)  Openejb2 test failures.
> Problem:
> Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException:
> org.openejb.deployment.DeploymentTestSuite.getName()
>
> Work-around:
> After bootstrap failure cd to <root>\target\external\openejb2
> "mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true"
> cd back to <root>
> "mvn clean install"
>
> Possible solution:
> Dain suggested adding the "getName" method to the test.  However,
> when I
> attempted this I hit other errors.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=115680051431478&w=2
> I think it would be helpful if we could disable the openejb tests
> until
> this problem is resolved.

+1

> 4)  Blue screen of death (bsod)
> Problem:
> This has been reported by multiple users on various machines.  When
> running an M1 or M2 build the user encounters a bsod due to a memory
> failure.
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>   ***  STOP:  0x00000050 (0xBADDB148, 0x00000000, 0x8056C77B,
> 0x00000000)
> Dump of physical memory
>
> Work-around/Possible Solution:
> Haven't found one yet.  I've tried updated drivers, replaced
> hardware,
> tried various heap size settings, etc....  At times this can be
> fairly
> frequent (every 3rd build attempt or so).  I'm collecting
> bootstrap.log
> files from folks when this happens during a bootstrap to see if there
> is
> a common thread.  So far, with the bootstrap logs, it always seems to
>
> happen at about the same place:
> Running tests after building a module (usually tomcat.ApplicationTest
> or
> TomcatModuleBuilderTest) and the final lines in the log are always
> the
> Creation of an MBeanServer like this:
>   [exec] Running org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.ApplicationTest
>   [exec] Created MBeanServer with ID:
> 5dcec6:10d5a184aed:-8000:jbohn2:1
>
> Please respond to this note if you are seeing the bsod failures on
> windows.  At first I thought this was just me and was hardware
> related.
>   However, the more I talk to folks on windows the more I hear of
> other
> folks encountering this same problem.  I've updated all drivers,
> replaced my entire system, and several other folks have reported
> seeing
> this on completely different systems.   I think that pretty much
> rules
> out a hardware problem.

  Hmm..., I have never seen this one. I am looking at the code and will
get back to you if I find something strange.

Thanks
Anita