Yes, we need to keep enough to be able to run the command line deployer. When I pulled j2ee-deployer I was unable to run the command line deploy.

more comments/questions below

David Jencks wrote:

On Oct 5, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

I think we need to keep enough in there that the command-line deploy
tool still works.  It looks like online-deployer is empty (or else I
would have said to keep that), but I think j2ee-security is required
for the JMX remoting used by the deploy tool.  Without this, I think
you'll have to mangle the repository contents and config.xml by hand
in order to ever have more than "Micro G" (ick).

Anyway, I would also be in favor of separating the specs from RMI naming.
So let me see if I understand the idea here. I can pull the spec dependencies from RMI naming and create a new config with just those dependencies. I suspect that I will need to make rmi-naming dependent on the new spec config but then I think that limits the ability to easily switch between 1.4 and 1.5 specs. Are the specs not really required for rmi-naming and currently included just as a way to get the specs in the image?

Thanks,
    Aaron

P.S. Maybe we should whack the online-deployer module and rename
"j2ee-security" to just "security" or something.

Online-deployer is empty just like the rest of the configs that are servers. It relies on manifest classpath and the configuration it contains. IIRC online-deployer.car is the same file as deployer.jar.
I was under the impression that this was required for the command line deploy as well but I'll pull it and see what happens.

I guess you're right that a little more might be good. I was figuring that being able to add plugins might be enough. What connects to the plugin installer?

thanks
david jencks