I'm afraid I think it's way too early to try to categorize where tests should go. Based on my experience so far I think we need to work on simplifying how to set up a small app and have some simple tests for it first. Once we have enough of these to confuse ourselves about organization, and it's dead simple to write a new one, we can worry about categorizing them.

For instance it might be useful to have a maven archetype to set up everything except the app to test and the actual test cases.

thanks
david jencks