On Dec 11, 2006, at 7:36 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

Ok, I still don't have the brain power but this is in the back of my mind.

Here is my take (yes, I'm rehashing stuff).

Currently what we have we don't want so we can eliminate the option where we release everything under an uber version number that has no bearing on the actual artifacts being released. So, for instance, when we released a modified version of JAAC its version number was 1.1.1 and all the other modules in the branches/1.1 were at 1.0, 1.0.1 and 1.1 which is horribly confusing.

We're left with other alternatives of which two seem to be the current topic of discussion.

Option 1:
Version all modules independently with no association to each other except through perhaps dependencies. - Makes releasing hard as coordinating multiple modules is the responsibility of the consumer - Makes releasing easy as there is almost no interdependence so work on different modules can proceed at their own pace.

Option 2:
Version all modules together under a single version number. This means if we changed JAAC in the above example all other modules would also be released as -1.1.1 even though they didn't changed.
- This makes releasing easy as all modules get pushed out a once.
- This makes releasing hard as one module that is having trouble or people don't have time to work on it holds up the whole train.

The factor that I think impacts the above options the most is the amount of churn in the specs. A lot of churn makes interdependence a PITA and makes option 1 favorable and a little churn makes option 2 more favorable.

Since specs are versioned / maintained infrequently, we hate the existing system and we need to get past the debate and get something done *I suggest that we adopt option 2*, give it a go, and if it sucks wind then we move to version 3.0 and switch to option 1.

Just to quietly raise my hand, we used to do option 2 on 1.0-M1 through 1.0-M5 and I was release manager nearly all of those. I advocated using one version for all specs. I eventually grew to dislike that (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo- dev&m=113857091823325&w=2).

I understand institutional memory is short if people really want to do the one version thing again, that's cool. I just want to go on record as saying I think the way we've attempted the one version for each approach also turned out to be flawed. We should have marked all the dependencies of each spec with '<scope>provided' shutting off maven's transitivity which would fix every issue I'm aware of with managing relationships between specs.

Thanks,
David

Either way people will be unhappy but getting past this roadblock is important.

Is anyone -1 on this approach?