IIRC and [1], the relative path is used if the parent artifact is not
already in the local repository. So a build from the subproject
directory would complain. It is a good idea to fix the relative paths.
   The relativePaths will break if someone insists on checking out part
of the server and build, i.e. if one tries to build 'plugins' on an
empty repo without checking out 'framework' .

Thanks
Anita

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html

--- David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>
> > On Jan 11, 2008 7:12 AM, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >> After the reorganization into plugins most everything still has
> its
> >> old pom parent, either o.a.g.modules/modules or o.a.g.plugins/
> >> plugins.  This seems to me like a bad idea.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on why this is a bad idea?
> >

> I guess we'd have to ask a maven expert for a real answer, I just
> have a feeling it will lead to trouble, but...
>
> currently a typical pom has
>
>      <parent>
>          <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
>          <artifactId>configs</artifactId>
>          <version>2.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>          <relativePath>../pom.xml</relativePath>
>      </parent>
>
>      <artifactId>j2ee-server</artifactId>
>

> The <relativePath> is just wrong.  If we were to make it accurate it
>
> would be
>
>      <parent>
>          <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
>          <artifactId>configs</artifactId>
>          <version>2.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>          <relativePath>../../framework/configs/pom.xml</relativePath>
>      </parent>
>
>      <artifactId>j2ee-server</artifactId>
>
> I think this kind of cross-linking of projects will just lead to
> confusion and grief.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

> > Jacek