Thanks Gianny.  I could add the MBE to TomcatBuilder by modifying
config.xml.  I have added the following gbean under
"org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6-deployer/2.1.3/car" to modify the
reference to include a new MBE:

        <gbean name="TomcatWebBuilder">
            <reference name="ModuleBuilderExtensions">
                <pattern>
                    <name>PersistenceUnitBuilder</name>
                </pattern>
                <pattern>
                    <name>JspModuleBuilderExtension</name>
                </pattern>
                <pattern>
                    <name>MyFacesModuleBuilderExtension</name>
                </pattern>
                <pattern>
                    <name>TuscanyModuleBuilderExtension</name>
                </pattern>
            </reference>
        </gbean>

--