Mattias has objected to https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pull/16554 . I oppose this proposal because I think it's important to release enhancements in 8.0, especially those slated for 8.1 that are finished. I do not want to wait for 9.0 as there's a strong chance it will be delayed further.
On Sun, Oct 11, 2026 at 10:42 AM James Daugherty <[email protected]> wrote: > I'm ok with this proposal with one exception: if we can get the progress > feature back ported to 8.0. This is that PR: > https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pull/16554 I believe I'm still > waiting on Mattias's feedback for this. > > -James > > On Sun, Oct 11, 2026 at 2:02 AM James Fredley <[email protected]> > wrote: > >> Updates based on feedback. >> >> PROPOSAL >> >> 1. Grails 9.0.x >> 1. Merge the 8.1.x branch into the 9.0.x branch. >> 2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line. >> 3. Ship 9.0.x as a focused release that brings Grails current with >> Groovy 6 without waiting for the next Spring Boot line. >> 4. Base it on Groovy 6. >> 5. Turn invokedynamic on by default. >> Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable default. In Groovy 6.0.0 >> the classic call-site implementation has moved out of groovy-core into the >> separate groovy-callsite module and is on a path to deprecation. Core >> dispatch already uses invokedynamic. >> 6. Include the two PRs from Scott related to JSON changes on Spring >> Boot 4.1. Possible other minor and quick PRs. >> 7. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026. >> 8. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache Groovy 7 work has >> already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy >> >> 2. Grails 9.1.x (previously discussed as the 10 / 9.1 line) >> 1. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2. >> 2. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of Spring Boot 4.2 >> GA. >> 3. Use this minor line for the Spring Boot 4.2 upgrade so the major >> version bump is reserved for material breaking changes later. >> 4. Set a firm target date to limit feature creep. >> >> >> James >> >> On 2026/10/09 05:53:48 Søren Berg Glasius wrote: >> > I tend to agree with Mattias. >> > >> > 9.0.x: Groovy 6, Spring 4.1 Major bump in Groovy version -> Major bump >> in >> > Grails version >> > 9.1.x: Groovy 6, Spring 4.2 Minor bump in Spring version -> Minor bump >> in >> > Grails version >> > 10.0.x: Groovy 6 (or 7), Spring 5, Major bump in Grails version >> > >> > And then set some target dates for those releases, so we don't end up >> with >> > feature creeping in the last weeks before that date. >> > >> > Getting 8.0.0 out of the door has been a feat and it's going to be GR8, >> but >> > it has also taken longer than it ought to. >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > Den tors. 8. okt. 2026 kl. 20.28 skrev Mattias Reichel < >> [email protected]>: >> > >> > > Then, the common ground would be 9.0 and 9.1? >> > > >> > > Den tors 8 okt. 2026 20:05James Fredley <[email protected]> >> skrev: >> > > >> > > > Spring Boot 4.2.0 will likely come at the earliest Dec 20 2026, >> which is >> > > 6 >> > > > months after 4.1.0. https://endoflife.date/spring-boot >> > > > Since that is Christmas, Jan is more likely. >> > > > >> > > > My #1 item on this discussion is getting Grails 9.0.0 on Groovy 6 >> out >> > > soon >> > > > and not waiting until Feb or March, so we can catch up to Groovy. >> > > > >> > > > My #2 is trying to avoid supporting Spring Boot 4.2.x on Groovy 6 >> and >> > > > Groovy 5. >> > > > >> > > > The Grails 10.0.x vs 9.1.x version number is less important for me >> > > > >> > > > James >> > > > >> > > > On 2026/10/08 17:41:45 Mattias Reichel wrote: >> > > > > Hi James, it seems we are not understanding each other. >> > > > > >> > > > > I'm not suggesting we upgrade to Groovy 6 in Grails 8.1. >> > > > > I am suggesting we release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 and >> Spring >> > > > > Boot 4.2 right away. >> > > > > There we will be current and up-to-date and able to test >> everything. >> > > > > >> > > > > Why would it be January before we can adopt Spring Boot 4.2 when >> we >> > > > > can start testing it on M2 today and RC1 in a couple of weeks. >> > > > > >> > > > > /Mattias >> > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > > Den tors 8 okt. 2026 kl 18:39 skrev James Daugherty < >> > > > [email protected]>: >> > > > > > >> > > > > > Hi Mattias, >> > > > > > >> > > > > > Our release policy says we can't update on minor versions, if we >> > > could >> > > > we could technically make 8.1 have Groovy 6 support. The reason a >> major >> > > is >> > > > being proposed is because we're trying to follow our release policy. >> > > > > > >> > > > > > It will also likely be January before we can adopt Spring 4.2. >> If we >> > > > wait to put groovy in, 4 months will have passed and major Groovy >> > > > development will have started back up again. The reason to get on >> Groovy >> > > > faster is so that we can be doing development while they are. We >> have >> > > been >> > > > 2 versions behind to date and I'm skeptical we'll catch up if we >> wait to >> > > > release support for Groovy 6. Based on what I've already found with >> 5, >> > > I'm >> > > > worried further language decisions will be made prior to our >> adoption and >> > > > it will be too late to change them by the time we find them. >> > > > > > >> > > > > > From a support perspective, support ends on 4.1 in Summer 2027 >> and >> > > for >> > > > 4.2 at the end of year on 2027. Jumping to 10 to 4.2 grants 6 >> months of >> > > > additional support, so I wouldn't consider 4.2 a minor. >> > > > > > >> > > > > > What's being proposed is to skip / jump ahead so we don't stay >> > > behind. >> > > > > > >> > > > > > -James >> > > > > > >> > > > > > On 2026/10/08 08:15:41 Mattias Reichel wrote: >> > > > > > > My feeling is that with this plan we are moving too fast with >> > > little >> > > > gain. >> > > > > > > I fail to see the up-sides of doing this, but I'm probably >> missing >> > > > something. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > From a user perspective I think it would be strange that the >> main >> > > > > > > selling point of Grails 10, as it stands now, would be a >> minor bump >> > > > of >> > > > > > > Spring Boot. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > We need to help the rest of the Grails ecosystem to catch up >> as >> > > well. >> > > > > > > I'm also pretty certain there will be much maintenance work on >> > > > Grails 8. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > I think we should release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 >> (indy-on) >> > > > with >> > > > > > > Spring Boot 4.2-M2 and start testing end applications early >> against >> > > > > > > that. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > As was the case for Grails 8, I'm sure there are also many >> great >> > > > ideas >> > > > > > > and features that need time to develop, polish, review and >> test >> > > > before >> > > > > > > going into a major release. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > Spring Boot RC1 is scheduled for October 22 which >> historically has >> > > > > > > meant a GA one month later. That schedule has been in flux >> but it >> > > > > > > seems the Spring team is trying to get back on track: >> > > > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/50902#issuecomment-5914928034 >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > Also important to factor in is the extra OSS support time of >> Spring >> > > > > > > Boot for Grails 9. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > If Spring Boot 4.2 is released late November, which my guess >> it >> > > will >> > > > > > > be, we will have shot ourselves in the foot, doing a Grails 9 >> with >> > > > > > > Boot 4.1. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > That Groovy master is already on Groovy 7 is to my >> understanding >> > > just >> > > > > > > how that project works. >> > > > > > > As soon as Groovy 6 was released, it became a maintenance >> branch, >> > > and >> > > > > > > only gets backport fixes from master. >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > /Mattias >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > > Den ons 7 okt. 2026 kl 17:57 skrev James Fredley < >> > > > [email protected]>: >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Hi all, >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > This is a follow-up to the earlier thread and to today's >> weekly >> > > > meeting. >> > > > > > > > This is a discuss thread, not a vote. The goal is to settle >> the >> > > > language >> > > > > > > > for a follow-up [VOTE] on the next several Grails lines. >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Grails 8.0.0 is out (Groovy 5, Spring Boot 4.1). Work toward >> > > > Groovy 6 is >> > > > > > > > already on the 9.0.x line, and Apache Groovy 6.0.0 is out. >> Groovy >> > > > 7 work >> > > > > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Please comment on the plan and on the wording. If you want >> to >> > > > change the >> > > > > > > > language, copy the whole proposal block below, paste it >> into your >> > > > reply, >> > > > > > > > and edit it there. Do not send a partial rewrite or a diff >> of a >> > > > > > > > sentence. A full replacement block is what we will carry >> into the >> > > > vote. >> > > > > > > > If you agree with the block as written, a +1 on this thread >> is >> > > > enough. >> > > > > > > > Discussion on this thread is not a binding vote. >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > PROPOSAL (copy this whole block if you want to change the >> > > language) >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > 1. Grails 9.0.x >> > > > > > > > 1. Merge the 8.1.x branch up into the 9.0.x branch. >> > > > > > > > 2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line. >> > > > > > > > 3. Ship 9.0.x as a lighter release: bring Grails >> current with >> > > > > > > > Groovy, without waiting on the next Spring Boot line. >> > > > > > > > 4. Base it on Groovy 6. >> > > > > > > > 5. Turn invokedynamic on. >> > > > > > > > 1. Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable >> default. In >> > > > Groovy >> > > > > > > > 6.0.0 the classic call-site implementation has moved out of >> > > > groovy-core >> > > > > > > > into the separate groovy-callsite module, and that surface >> is on >> > > a >> > > > path >> > > > > > > > to deprecation. Core dispatch already uses invokedynamic. >> > > > > > > > 6. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026. >> > > > > > > > 7. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache >> Groovy 7 >> > > > work >> > > > > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > 2. Grails 10 (the line previously discussed as 9.1.x) >> > > > > > > > 1. Rename the planned 9.1.x line to 10. >> > > > > > > > 2. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2. >> > > > > > > > 3. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of >> Spring >> > > > Boot >> > > > > > > > 4.2. That window is tight because of existing time >> commitments. >> > > > > > > > 4. Use the major version bump so the release can carry >> > > material >> > > > > > > > breaking changes and move the framework forward. >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > James >> > > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >> >
