I am fine skipping 4.2 for 8; my concern is not having times to add
features outside of waiting for a major release.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2026 at 3:49 PM James Fredley <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I am OK with Grails 8.1.x based on Spring Boot 4.1.  No concern there.
> Just wanted to avoid supporting Spring Boot 4.2 on Groovy 6 and also Groovy
> 5.
>
> James
>
> On 2026/10/11 11:06:08 James Daugherty via dev wrote:
> > Mattias has objected to https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pull/16554
> .
> > I oppose this proposal because I think it's important to release
> > enhancements in 8.0, especially those slated for 8.1 that are finished. I
> > do not want to wait for 9.0 as there's a strong chance it will be delayed
> > further.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 11, 2026 at 10:42 AM James Daugherty <
> [email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm ok with this proposal with one exception: if we can get the
> progress
> > > feature back ported to 8.0.  This is that PR:
> > > https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pull/16554 I believe I'm still
> > > waiting on Mattias's feedback for this.
> > >
> > > -James
> > >
> > > On Sun, Oct 11, 2026 at 2:02 AM James Fredley <[email protected]
> >
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >> Updates based on feedback.
> > >>
> > >> PROPOSAL
> > >>
> > >> 1. Grails 9.0.x
> > >>    1. Merge the 8.1.x branch into the 9.0.x branch.
> > >>    2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line.
> > >>    3. Ship 9.0.x as a focused release that brings Grails current with
> > >> Groovy 6 without waiting for the next Spring Boot line.
> > >>    4. Base it on Groovy 6.
> > >>    5. Turn invokedynamic on by default.
> > >>       Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable default. In Groovy
> 6.0.0
> > >> the classic call-site implementation has moved out of groovy-core
> into the
> > >> separate groovy-callsite module and is on a path to deprecation. Core
> > >> dispatch already uses invokedynamic.
> > >>    6. Include the two PRs from Scott related to JSON changes on Spring
> > >> Boot 4.1.  Possible other minor and quick PRs.
> > >>    7. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026.
> > >>    8. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache Groovy 7 work
> has
> > >> already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy
> > >>
> > >> 2. Grails 9.1.x (previously discussed as the 10 / 9.1 line)
> > >>    1. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2.
> > >>    2. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of Spring Boot
> 4.2
> > >> GA.
> > >>    3. Use this minor line for the Spring Boot 4.2 upgrade so the major
> > >> version bump is reserved for material breaking changes later.
> > >>    4. Set a firm target date to limit feature creep.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> James
> > >>
> > >> On 2026/10/09 05:53:48 Søren Berg Glasius wrote:
> > >> > I tend to agree with Mattias.
> > >> >
> > >> > 9.0.x: Groovy 6, Spring 4.1 Major bump in Groovy version -> Major
> bump
> > >> in
> > >> > Grails version
> > >> > 9.1.x: Groovy 6, Spring 4.2 Minor bump in Spring version -> Minor
> bump
> > >> in
> > >> > Grails version
> > >> > 10.0.x: Groovy 6 (or 7), Spring 5, Major bump in Grails version
> > >> >
> > >> > And then set some target dates for those releases, so we don't end
> up
> > >> with
> > >> > feature creeping in the last weeks before that date.
> > >> >
> > >> > Getting 8.0.0 out of the door has been a feat and it's going to be
> GR8,
> > >> but
> > >> > it has also taken longer than it ought to.
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > Den tors. 8. okt. 2026 kl. 20.28 skrev Mattias Reichel <
> > >> [email protected]>:
> > >> >
> > >> > > Then, the common ground would be 9.0 and 9.1?
> > >> > >
> > >> > > Den tors 8 okt. 2026 20:05James Fredley <[email protected]>
> > >> skrev:
> > >> > >
> > >> > > > Spring Boot 4.2.0 will likely come at the earliest Dec 20 2026,
> > >> which is
> > >> > > 6
> > >> > > > months after 4.1.0.  https://endoflife.date/spring-boot
> > >> > > > Since that is Christmas, Jan is more likely.
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > My #1 item on this discussion is getting Grails 9.0.0 on Groovy
> 6
> > >> out
> > >> > > soon
> > >> > > > and not waiting until Feb or March, so we can catch up to
> Groovy.
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > My #2 is trying to avoid supporting Spring Boot 4.2.x on Groovy
> 6
> > >> and
> > >> > > > Groovy 5.
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > The Grails 10.0.x vs 9.1.x version number is less important for
> me
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > James
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > > On 2026/10/08 17:41:45 Mattias Reichel wrote:
> > >> > > > > Hi James, it seems we are not understanding each other.
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > I'm not suggesting we upgrade to Groovy 6 in Grails 8.1.
> > >> > > > > I am suggesting we release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 and
> > >> Spring
> > >> > > > > Boot 4.2 right away.
> > >> > > > > There we will be current and up-to-date and able to test
> > >> everything.
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > Why would it be January before we can adopt Spring Boot 4.2
> when
> > >> we
> > >> > > > > can start testing it on M2 today and RC1 in a couple of weeks.
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > /Mattias
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > > > Den tors 8 okt. 2026 kl 18:39 skrev James Daugherty <
> > >> > > > [email protected]>:
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > Hi Mattias,
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > Our release policy says we can't update on minor versions,
> if we
> > >> > > could
> > >> > > > we could technically make 8.1 have Groovy 6 support.  The
> reason a
> > >> major
> > >> > > is
> > >> > > > being proposed is because we're trying to follow our release
> policy.
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > It will also likely be January before we can adopt Spring
> 4.2.
> > >> If we
> > >> > > > wait to put groovy in, 4 months will have passed and major
> Groovy
> > >> > > > development will have started back up again. The reason to get
> on
> > >> Groovy
> > >> > > > faster is so that we can be doing development while they are. We
> > >> have
> > >> > > been
> > >> > > > 2 versions behind to date and I'm skeptical we'll catch up if we
> > >> wait to
> > >> > > > release support for Groovy 6. Based on what I've already found
> with
> > >> 5,
> > >> > > I'm
> > >> > > > worried further language decisions will be made prior to our
> > >> adoption and
> > >> > > > it will be too late to change them by the time we find them.
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > From a support perspective, support ends on 4.1 in Summer
> 2027
> > >> and
> > >> > > for
> > >> > > > 4.2 at the end of year on 2027.  Jumping to 10 to 4.2 grants 6
> > >> months of
> > >> > > > additional support, so I wouldn't consider 4.2 a minor.
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > What's being proposed is to skip / jump ahead so we don't
> stay
> > >> > > behind.
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > -James
> > >> > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > On 2026/10/08 08:15:41 Mattias Reichel wrote:
> > >> > > > > > > My feeling is that with this plan we are moving too fast
> with
> > >> > > little
> > >> > > > gain.
> > >> > > > > > > I fail to see the up-sides of doing this, but I'm probably
> > >> missing
> > >> > > > something.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > From a user perspective I think it would be strange that
> the
> > >> main
> > >> > > > > > > selling point of Grails 10, as it stands now, would be a
> > >> minor bump
> > >> > > > of
> > >> > > > > > > Spring Boot.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > We need to help the rest of the Grails ecosystem to catch
> up
> > >> as
> > >> > > well.
> > >> > > > > > > I'm also pretty certain there will be much maintenance
> work on
> > >> > > > Grails 8.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > I think we should release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6
> > >> (indy-on)
> > >> > > > with
> > >> > > > > > > Spring Boot 4.2-M2 and start testing end applications
> early
> > >> against
> > >> > > > > > > that.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > As was the case for Grails 8, I'm sure there are also many
> > >> great
> > >> > > > ideas
> > >> > > > > > > and features that need time to develop, polish, review and
> > >> test
> > >> > > > before
> > >> > > > > > > going into a major release.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > Spring Boot RC1 is scheduled for October 22 which
> > >> historically has
> > >> > > > > > > meant a GA one month later. That schedule has been in flux
> > >> but it
> > >> > > > > > > seems the Spring team is trying to get back on track:
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > >
> > >> > >
> > >>
> https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/50902#issuecomment-5914928034
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > Also important to factor in is the extra OSS support time
> of
> > >> Spring
> > >> > > > > > > Boot for Grails 9.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > If Spring Boot 4.2 is released late November, which my
> guess
> > >> it
> > >> > > will
> > >> > > > > > > be, we will have shot ourselves in the foot, doing a
> Grails 9
> > >> with
> > >> > > > > > > Boot 4.1.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > That Groovy master is already on Groovy 7 is to my
> > >> understanding
> > >> > > just
> > >> > > > > > > how that project works.
> > >> > > > > > > As soon as Groovy 6 was released, it became a maintenance
> > >> branch,
> > >> > > and
> > >> > > > > > > only gets backport fixes from master.
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > /Mattias
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > Den ons 7 okt. 2026 kl 17:57 skrev James Fredley <
> > >> > > > [email protected]>:
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > Hi all,
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > This is a follow-up to the earlier thread and to today's
> > >> weekly
> > >> > > > meeting.
> > >> > > > > > > > This is a discuss thread, not a vote. The goal is to
> settle
> > >> the
> > >> > > > language
> > >> > > > > > > > for a follow-up [VOTE] on the next several Grails lines.
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > Grails 8.0.0 is out (Groovy 5, Spring Boot 4.1). Work
> toward
> > >> > > > Groovy 6 is
> > >> > > > > > > > already on the 9.0.x line, and Apache Groovy 6.0.0 is
> out.
> > >> Groovy
> > >> > > > 7 work
> > >> > > > > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > Please comment on the plan and on the wording. If you
> want
> > >> to
> > >> > > > change the
> > >> > > > > > > > language, copy the whole proposal block below, paste it
> > >> into your
> > >> > > > reply,
> > >> > > > > > > > and edit it there. Do not send a partial rewrite or a
> diff
> > >> of a
> > >> > > > > > > > sentence. A full replacement block is what we will carry
> > >> into the
> > >> > > > vote.
> > >> > > > > > > > If you agree with the block as written, a +1 on this
> thread
> > >> is
> > >> > > > enough.
> > >> > > > > > > > Discussion on this thread is not a binding vote.
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > PROPOSAL (copy this whole block if you want to change
> the
> > >> > > language)
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > 1. Grails 9.0.x
> > >> > > > > > > >     1. Merge the 8.1.x branch up into the 9.0.x branch.
> > >> > > > > > > >     2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line.
> > >> > > > > > > >     3. Ship 9.0.x as a lighter release: bring Grails
> > >> current with
> > >> > > > > > > > Groovy, without waiting on the next Spring Boot line.
> > >> > > > > > > >     4. Base it on Groovy 6.
> > >> > > > > > > >     5. Turn invokedynamic on.
> > >> > > > > > > >        1. Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable
> > >> default. In
> > >> > > > Groovy
> > >> > > > > > > > 6.0.0 the classic call-site implementation has moved
> out of
> > >> > > > groovy-core
> > >> > > > > > > > into the separate groovy-callsite module, and that
> surface
> > >> is on
> > >> > > a
> > >> > > > path
> > >> > > > > > > > to deprecation. Core dispatch already uses
> invokedynamic.
> > >> > > > > > > >     6. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026.
> > >> > > > > > > >     7. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache
> > >> Groovy 7
> > >> > > > work
> > >> > > > > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > 2. Grails 10 (the line previously discussed as 9.1.x)
> > >> > > > > > > >     1. Rename the planned 9.1.x line to 10.
> > >> > > > > > > >     2. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2.
> > >> > > > > > > >     3. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month
> of
> > >> Spring
> > >> > > > Boot
> > >> > > > > > > > 4.2. That window is tight because of existing time
> > >> commitments.
> > >> > > > > > > >     4. Use the major version bump so the release can
> carry
> > >> > > material
> > >> > > > > > > > breaking changes and move the framework forward.
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > James
> > >> > > > > > >
> > >> > > > >
> > >> > > >
> > >> > >
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >
> >
>

Reply via email to