I am OK with Grails 8.1.x based on Spring Boot 4.1. No concern there. Just wanted to avoid supporting Spring Boot 4.2 on Groovy 6 and also Groovy 5.
James On 2026/10/11 11:06:08 James Daugherty via dev wrote: > Mattias has objected to https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pull/16554 . > I oppose this proposal because I think it's important to release > enhancements in 8.0, especially those slated for 8.1 that are finished. I > do not want to wait for 9.0 as there's a strong chance it will be delayed > further. > > On Sun, Oct 11, 2026 at 10:42 AM James Daugherty <[email protected]> > wrote: > > > I'm ok with this proposal with one exception: if we can get the progress > > feature back ported to 8.0. This is that PR: > > https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pull/16554 I believe I'm still > > waiting on Mattias's feedback for this. > > > > -James > > > > On Sun, Oct 11, 2026 at 2:02 AM James Fredley <[email protected]> > > wrote: > > > >> Updates based on feedback. > >> > >> PROPOSAL > >> > >> 1. Grails 9.0.x > >> 1. Merge the 8.1.x branch into the 9.0.x branch. > >> 2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line. > >> 3. Ship 9.0.x as a focused release that brings Grails current with > >> Groovy 6 without waiting for the next Spring Boot line. > >> 4. Base it on Groovy 6. > >> 5. Turn invokedynamic on by default. > >> Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable default. In Groovy 6.0.0 > >> the classic call-site implementation has moved out of groovy-core into the > >> separate groovy-callsite module and is on a path to deprecation. Core > >> dispatch already uses invokedynamic. > >> 6. Include the two PRs from Scott related to JSON changes on Spring > >> Boot 4.1. Possible other minor and quick PRs. > >> 7. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026. > >> 8. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache Groovy 7 work has > >> already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy > >> > >> 2. Grails 9.1.x (previously discussed as the 10 / 9.1 line) > >> 1. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2. > >> 2. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of Spring Boot 4.2 > >> GA. > >> 3. Use this minor line for the Spring Boot 4.2 upgrade so the major > >> version bump is reserved for material breaking changes later. > >> 4. Set a firm target date to limit feature creep. > >> > >> > >> James > >> > >> On 2026/10/09 05:53:48 Søren Berg Glasius wrote: > >> > I tend to agree with Mattias. > >> > > >> > 9.0.x: Groovy 6, Spring 4.1 Major bump in Groovy version -> Major bump > >> in > >> > Grails version > >> > 9.1.x: Groovy 6, Spring 4.2 Minor bump in Spring version -> Minor bump > >> in > >> > Grails version > >> > 10.0.x: Groovy 6 (or 7), Spring 5, Major bump in Grails version > >> > > >> > And then set some target dates for those releases, so we don't end up > >> with > >> > feature creeping in the last weeks before that date. > >> > > >> > Getting 8.0.0 out of the door has been a feat and it's going to be GR8, > >> but > >> > it has also taken longer than it ought to. > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > Den tors. 8. okt. 2026 kl. 20.28 skrev Mattias Reichel < > >> [email protected]>: > >> > > >> > > Then, the common ground would be 9.0 and 9.1? > >> > > > >> > > Den tors 8 okt. 2026 20:05James Fredley <[email protected]> > >> skrev: > >> > > > >> > > > Spring Boot 4.2.0 will likely come at the earliest Dec 20 2026, > >> which is > >> > > 6 > >> > > > months after 4.1.0. https://endoflife.date/spring-boot > >> > > > Since that is Christmas, Jan is more likely. > >> > > > > >> > > > My #1 item on this discussion is getting Grails 9.0.0 on Groovy 6 > >> out > >> > > soon > >> > > > and not waiting until Feb or March, so we can catch up to Groovy. > >> > > > > >> > > > My #2 is trying to avoid supporting Spring Boot 4.2.x on Groovy 6 > >> and > >> > > > Groovy 5. > >> > > > > >> > > > The Grails 10.0.x vs 9.1.x version number is less important for me > >> > > > > >> > > > James > >> > > > > >> > > > On 2026/10/08 17:41:45 Mattias Reichel wrote: > >> > > > > Hi James, it seems we are not understanding each other. > >> > > > > > >> > > > > I'm not suggesting we upgrade to Groovy 6 in Grails 8.1. > >> > > > > I am suggesting we release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 and > >> Spring > >> > > > > Boot 4.2 right away. > >> > > > > There we will be current and up-to-date and able to test > >> everything. > >> > > > > > >> > > > > Why would it be January before we can adopt Spring Boot 4.2 when > >> we > >> > > > > can start testing it on M2 today and RC1 in a couple of weeks. > >> > > > > > >> > > > > /Mattias > >> > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > Den tors 8 okt. 2026 kl 18:39 skrev James Daugherty < > >> > > > [email protected]>: > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > Hi Mattias, > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > Our release policy says we can't update on minor versions, if we > >> > > could > >> > > > we could technically make 8.1 have Groovy 6 support. The reason a > >> major > >> > > is > >> > > > being proposed is because we're trying to follow our release policy. > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > It will also likely be January before we can adopt Spring 4.2. > >> If we > >> > > > wait to put groovy in, 4 months will have passed and major Groovy > >> > > > development will have started back up again. The reason to get on > >> Groovy > >> > > > faster is so that we can be doing development while they are. We > >> have > >> > > been > >> > > > 2 versions behind to date and I'm skeptical we'll catch up if we > >> wait to > >> > > > release support for Groovy 6. Based on what I've already found with > >> 5, > >> > > I'm > >> > > > worried further language decisions will be made prior to our > >> adoption and > >> > > > it will be too late to change them by the time we find them. > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > From a support perspective, support ends on 4.1 in Summer 2027 > >> and > >> > > for > >> > > > 4.2 at the end of year on 2027. Jumping to 10 to 4.2 grants 6 > >> months of > >> > > > additional support, so I wouldn't consider 4.2 a minor. > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > What's being proposed is to skip / jump ahead so we don't stay > >> > > behind. > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > -James > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > On 2026/10/08 08:15:41 Mattias Reichel wrote: > >> > > > > > > My feeling is that with this plan we are moving too fast with > >> > > little > >> > > > gain. > >> > > > > > > I fail to see the up-sides of doing this, but I'm probably > >> missing > >> > > > something. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > From a user perspective I think it would be strange that the > >> main > >> > > > > > > selling point of Grails 10, as it stands now, would be a > >> minor bump > >> > > > of > >> > > > > > > Spring Boot. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > We need to help the rest of the Grails ecosystem to catch up > >> as > >> > > well. > >> > > > > > > I'm also pretty certain there will be much maintenance work on > >> > > > Grails 8. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > I think we should release Grails 9.0.0-M1 with Groovy 6 > >> (indy-on) > >> > > > with > >> > > > > > > Spring Boot 4.2-M2 and start testing end applications early > >> against > >> > > > > > > that. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > As was the case for Grails 8, I'm sure there are also many > >> great > >> > > > ideas > >> > > > > > > and features that need time to develop, polish, review and > >> test > >> > > > before > >> > > > > > > going into a major release. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > Spring Boot RC1 is scheduled for October 22 which > >> historically has > >> > > > > > > meant a GA one month later. That schedule has been in flux > >> but it > >> > > > > > > seems the Spring team is trying to get back on track: > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/50902#issuecomment-5914928034 > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > Also important to factor in is the extra OSS support time of > >> Spring > >> > > > > > > Boot for Grails 9. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > If Spring Boot 4.2 is released late November, which my guess > >> it > >> > > will > >> > > > > > > be, we will have shot ourselves in the foot, doing a Grails 9 > >> with > >> > > > > > > Boot 4.1. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > That Groovy master is already on Groovy 7 is to my > >> understanding > >> > > just > >> > > > > > > how that project works. > >> > > > > > > As soon as Groovy 6 was released, it became a maintenance > >> branch, > >> > > and > >> > > > > > > only gets backport fixes from master. > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > /Mattias > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > Den ons 7 okt. 2026 kl 17:57 skrev James Fredley < > >> > > > [email protected]>: > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Hi all, > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > This is a follow-up to the earlier thread and to today's > >> weekly > >> > > > meeting. > >> > > > > > > > This is a discuss thread, not a vote. The goal is to settle > >> the > >> > > > language > >> > > > > > > > for a follow-up [VOTE] on the next several Grails lines. > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Grails 8.0.0 is out (Groovy 5, Spring Boot 4.1). Work toward > >> > > > Groovy 6 is > >> > > > > > > > already on the 9.0.x line, and Apache Groovy 6.0.0 is out. > >> Groovy > >> > > > 7 work > >> > > > > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > Please comment on the plan and on the wording. If you want > >> to > >> > > > change the > >> > > > > > > > language, copy the whole proposal block below, paste it > >> into your > >> > > > reply, > >> > > > > > > > and edit it there. Do not send a partial rewrite or a diff > >> of a > >> > > > > > > > sentence. A full replacement block is what we will carry > >> into the > >> > > > vote. > >> > > > > > > > If you agree with the block as written, a +1 on this thread > >> is > >> > > > enough. > >> > > > > > > > Discussion on this thread is not a binding vote. > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > PROPOSAL (copy this whole block if you want to change the > >> > > language) > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > 1. Grails 9.0.x > >> > > > > > > > 1. Merge the 8.1.x branch up into the 9.0.x branch. > >> > > > > > > > 2. Do not release 8.1.x. Skip that line. > >> > > > > > > > 3. Ship 9.0.x as a lighter release: bring Grails > >> current with > >> > > > > > > > Groovy, without waiting on the next Spring Boot line. > >> > > > > > > > 4. Base it on Groovy 6. > >> > > > > > > > 5. Turn invokedynamic on. > >> > > > > > > > 1. Turning invokedynamic off is not a viable > >> default. In > >> > > > Groovy > >> > > > > > > > 6.0.0 the classic call-site implementation has moved out of > >> > > > groovy-core > >> > > > > > > > into the separate groovy-callsite module, and that surface > >> is on > >> > > a > >> > > > path > >> > > > > > > > to deprecation. Core dispatch already uses invokedynamic. > >> > > > > > > > 6. Target 9.0.0 for the end of November 2026. > >> > > > > > > > 7. This release catches Grails up to Groovy. Apache > >> Groovy 7 > >> > > > work > >> > > > > > > > has already started: https://github.com/apache/groovy > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > 2. Grails 10 (the line previously discussed as 9.1.x) > >> > > > > > > > 1. Rename the planned 9.1.x line to 10. > >> > > > > > > > 2. Base it on Groovy 6 and Spring Boot 4.2. > >> > > > > > > > 3. Target 2027 Q1. Aim to release within one month of > >> Spring > >> > > > Boot > >> > > > > > > > 4.2. That window is tight because of existing time > >> commitments. > >> > > > > > > > 4. Use the major version bump so the release can carry > >> > > material > >> > > > > > > > breaking changes and move the framework forward. > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > James > >> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > > >
