Right. My gut feeling tells me META-INF/services should be used as
intended, this would mean breaking compatibility by moving existing files
that are not service providers, as noted by Cedric. This change should be
made in the 3.x branch and beyond IMHO.
But it's also true we don't know the exact reason why META-INF/services/org.
codehaus.groovy.source.Extensions is causing trouble and not the other
files.

Cheers,
Andres

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast