After moving the Extensions file, it looks like the only other file in
Cédric's list that causes Java 9's ModuleFinder a problem is Groovy's
extension module file:
META-INF/services/org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ExtensionModule

I'll also see what is involved in moving that (with a fallback to the
current location).

Cheers, Paul.