Filed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16886

On 8/7/18 10:17 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
Can we please change the notification settings? Right now each individual
comment on GitHub is going to dev@hbase.

Send them to issues@hbase or something like that.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018, 14:06 Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

We recently asked INFRA for two new repositories: hbase-operator-tools
and hbase-connectors. INFRA noted that this is a self-service task and
forwarded us to https://gitbox.apache.org.

After setting up the repos, it was plain that gitbox repos are not
like our git-view mirror of svn repos as we currently have; they are
connected to github and all github facilities such as PR support and
pushing from github are supported (compare
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git or our thirdparty
repo https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase-thirdparty.git to
the new hbase-connectors repositories, available here,
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase-connectors.git;a=tree, but
also via github here https://github.com/apache/hbase-connectors).

I asked Infra (Chris Lambertus) what's the story, how it relates to
our current git:

"Sure you can have repos on both systems (git-wip/svn and GitBox), as
long as they are different. For instance you wouldn't want
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git AND
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git (which doesn't exist,
just using for an example). If you'd like to consolidate everything
onto GitBox, then get a vote on your ML and submit a ticket with the
vote results as well as any detail. Eventually, we'll be migrating
everything to GitBox from git-wip.

"GitBox enables writeable GitHub repos, so you can utilize GitHub's
tools (PRs, merging, etc) while still being able to use GitBox as a
remote."

This is interesting. In HBASE-21002, a few of us have 'fun' playing
with the available facility which includes comments in github echoing
as comments in JIRA.

As our Sean Busbey notes up in one of the repo-creation JIRAs, as a
community, we don't "support" PRs as part of our current flow.

With our new repos, we have an opportunity to play with the new
tooling without having to change core behaviors. If we like what we
see, we might want to consider amending our patch-attached-to-JIRA
axiom at some point down the road (or of asking to move git core to
gitbox sooner rather than later).

St.Ack