On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:03 AM Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Per the email from infra "[NOTICE] Mandatory relocation of Apache git
> repositories on git-wip-us.apache.org" ( https://s.apache.org/0sfe ) it
> looks like the future of interacting directly with PRs is coming sooner
> rather than later.
>
> I think we should move to gitbox ASAP rather than wait for the crunch. If
> we hit a rough spot we're more likely to get some help when things aren't
> busy. Maybe we wait until our open RCs close so that folks that need to tag
> those releases don't need to update their workflow first?
>
> Presuming everyone still agrees that we get value out of JIRA, I think we
> need update our committer guidelines to expressly remind folks to check on
> things like commit messages before merging PRs, as well as to ensure folks
> use the "squash and merge" option to keep the git history less complicated.
> Probably a good time to add text about the importance of backporting, since
> there isn't a github UI for doing that.

Sounds good.

Use this thread to list what needs documentation? (Agree with the "Need to
sort all of this out and provide clarity now before a switch over." from
Andrew).

What should the commit be like? Should be like now? What about that ugly
bleed that happens when the first line is too long and gets dumped into the
textbox below ... which then becomes the log IIRC.

When do we do the squash merge? Is that the committer who does this after
rounds of review?

I like Andrew's list.

On the 'You can't fix a branch-1 issue where the code is different in
branch-2 and up by opening a PR against master', this is a prob. at least
with our current 'process'. We don't do a JIRA per push because it is just
a bunch of busy work. Do we have to do this now (any alternatives?)

Thanks for starting this up Sean,