Deprecating jdk8 for HBase 3 and requiring minJdk=11 seems reasonable to me.

Gotta start pushing the issue somehow.

On 2/15/22 1:47 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
Hi folks!

It's been some time since we decided to stick to LTS JDK releases as a way
of getting a handle on the JDK treadmill.

What do folks think about deprecating JDK8? The openjdk8u project is still
going and there are commercial support options at least through 2030.

Deprecating it in HBase 3 would mean we could remove it in HBase 4, not
that we would _have_ to remove it. The way I think about likely timing of
these events goes like this:

* HBase 2 started alphas in June 2017, betas in January 2018, and came out
in April 2018
* HBase 3 started alphas in July 2021, and as of Feb 2022 we haven't
discussed how close we are to our stated beta goals (upgrades from active
2.x releases and removal of not-ready features).

Given the above, in the absence of us specifically pushing to roll through
major version numbers for some reason, I think a reasonably conservative
estimate is for HBase 3 to arrive in late 2022 or early 2023 and then HBase
4 to start alphas in ~2025. An HBase 5 prior to 2030 seems unlikely.

That all said, our current reference guide section on java versions does
not sound very confident about JDK11 support.

A Note on JDK11 *
Preliminary support for JDK11 is introduced with HBase 2.3.0. This
support is limited to
compilation and running the full test suite. There are open questions
regarding the runtime
compatibility of JDK11 with Apache ZooKeeper and Apache Hadoop
(HADOOP-15338).
Significantly, neither project has yet released a version with explicit
runtime support for
JDK11. The remaining known issues in HBase are catalogued in HBASE-22972.

Since that blurb was written, Hadoop has added JDK11 support [1] as has
ZooKeeper[2]. As a part of buttoning up our JDK11 support we could update
our minimum supported versions of these projects to match that support.

What do folks think?

[1]: https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.3.0/index.html
[2]:
https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.6.0/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_systemReq