> Regarding the original question, I would be in favor of the proposal. Time
> marches on. I assume just to state the obvious that our destination of
> minimum LTS would shift from 8 to 11.

Yes, sorry I should have expressly stated JDK11 would become the minimum
with some release after HBase 3.

I got here because I wanted to start working on qualifying JDK17 as a
runtime environment but then realized we were putting more caveats on JDK11
than I expected.

Hadoop 2 isn’t exactly dead, at least the source branch is still receiving
> occasional update, but is not releasing. We should probably consider it
> effectively EOL.

IIRC we've already dropped Hadoop 2 support for HBase 3.

The Hadoop minimum could become 3.3. The primary consideration to my mind
> is the state of S3A: in what version it can be said to be stable and
> feature complete. I think 3.3 is the appropriate code line for that
> criteria but perhaps 3.2 could serve as well.

I really like this as a criteria. Anyone else have an idea on this?