> Writing documentation sooner rather than later is likely to increases the
chances of things getting documented.

Big +1 on this. I think documentation contributes towards one of the major
technical debts(I personally have quite a bit for the patches I
contributed). IMHO committers may choose to reject patches that don't have
usage documentation if they include significant work which practically
cannot be consumed without proper documentation.

Slightly tangential but how we do choose on adding this to some of the
already resolved JIRAs that are missing documentation? I can volunteer to
dig through our JIRA queue and find some of these out but probably would
need some help from the contributors on these to be sure that they are
doc'ed properly. :)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Thejas Nair <the...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> > Also, I don't think we need to wait for end of the release cycle to start
> >> documenting features for the next release.
> >

> > Agreed, but I think we should wait until the next release is less than
> two
> > months away.  What do other people think?
>
> We have been releasing almost every 3-4 months. So that is the longest
> un-released version documentation would be in the docs.
> Writing documentation sooner rather than later is likely to increases
> the chances of things getting documented. It is easier to get details
> from developers while the details are still fresh in their minds. It
> would also even the load on documentation volunteers over the time.
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Swarnim