> What are the likely alternatives for downstream projects that want
> distributed tracing?
Yes, for general purpose or RPC, but I think HTrace is still
positioned well for data services specifically.

> Do we think the field still has a big gap that HTrace can solve?
When at twitter (a couple yrs ago now), I know the data team preferred
htrace eventhough we had zipkin. Most of the tracing projects out
there do not focus on data services, or only recently do. While HTrace
may not be great at filling gaps in traditional RPC (as others do this
well enough), it probably does still have compelling advantages in
data services. I think the main holdback is getting the word out
and/or showing examples where the model and UI really shines in
HTrace's sweet spot (data services).

my 2p