What about OpenTracing (http://opentracing.io/)? Is this the successor
project to ZipKin? In particular grpc-opentracing (
https://github.com/grpc-ecosystem/grpc-opentracing) seems to finally
fulfill in open source the tracing architecture described in the Dapper
paper.

If one takes a step back and looks at all of the hand rolled RPC stacks in
the Hadoop ecosystem it's a mess. It is a heavier lift but getting everyone
migrated to a single RPC stack - gRPC - would provide the unified tracing
layer envisioned by HTrace. The tracing integration is then done exactly in
one place. In contrast HTrace requires all of the components to sprinkle
spans throughout the application code.

The Hadoop ecosystem is always partially at odds with itself, if for no
other reason than there is no shared vision among the projects. There are
no coordinated releases. There isn't even agreement on which version of
shared dependencies to use (hence the recurring pain in various places with
downstream version changes of protobuf, guava, jackson, etc. etc).
Therefore HTrace is severely constrained on what API changes can be made.
Unfortunately the different major versions of HTrace do not interoperate at
all. And are not even source compatible. While is not unreasonable at all
for a project in incubation, when combined with the inability of the Hadoop
ecosystem to coordinate releases as a cross-cutting dependency ships a new
version, this has reduced the utility of HTrace to effectively nil for the
average user. I am sorry to say that. Only a commercial Hadoop vendor or
power user can be expected to patch and build a stack that actually works.
​​

On Thu, A
​​

--