Greg Marr wrote:

I'm only changing <Location > ... <Directory > is unaffected.

Well, that's not entirely true. The <Directory> is affected indirectly, because it no longer applies. The behavior currently is: it applies to everything it matches. This would change it to: it applies to everything it matches unless it also matches a <Location>, in which case it doesn't apply.

OK, got it. Thanks for the clear explanation.

This could possibly be handled by checking for overlaps between <Location > and <Directory > at config time, especially if they are sorted in least-to-most specific order as wrowe suggests.

But my current favorite idea is Joshua's suggestion for the module to declare that the content is virtual, pure and simple. In that case, any such overlaps are an admin screwup IMO. GET /server-status/index.html doesn't make any sense to me even if such a directory exists.

Greg