On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:41:12PM +0100, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2004, at 10:03 PM, Joe Orton wrote:
>
> >>neon has been the most limiting dependency for a client, I am told.
> >
> >Mmm, such juicy tempting FUD.  Your anonymous informant should report
> >portability bugs to [EMAIL PROTECTED], rather than spreading gossip,
> >since
>
> Oh come on - migration is not trivial for older systems. We're going
> from a very flat/simple cross platform config system in apache 1.3 to
> apache 2.0 with gnu configure, a new version libtool (1.4), and now
> with the change of cvs to subversion we're now also adding
> dependencies on xml and berkely 4.

It's undoubtedly true that CVS is more widely ported than Subversion and
its dependencies (at least to Unixes), I wouldn't claim anything else.
Merely that I've seen APR's attempts to detect pthreads, shmem etc screw
up on old and new Unixes over the last year far far more then the
relatively simple neon configure script.  But if you're sitting on a
bunch of neon bug reports, who am I to comment...

To get back on-topic: +1 on moving httpd to Subversion from CVS; it
*greatly* improves development work to be able to "svn diff" and "svn
st" without waiting for packets to go back and forth to California.

Regards,

joe