Personally, I have seen some hosting providers which I have talked to (and
worked with) hold back because existing client's htaccess scripts sometimes
experience quirks under 2.0.

In one case I have been privvy to, a test implementation was done with a
server that was practically a replica of a running client hosting environment
(as it was created from a backup), then upgraded the underlying apache from
1.3 to 2.0 with a configuration of modules as close to the old one as
possible.  In that case, several client sites with dynamic applications
started throwing up errors due to configuration changes (and perhaps
misconfigurations) in a combination of scripts and htaccess files.

In one particular case, a <files> block was being used to force processing of
anything called in a certain directory as a PHP script in order to provide a
"true" path-info address for a dynamic script. (instead of
blah/this.php/that/that its blah/this/that/that ).  I am not sure if this is
still the case or not...

Also, I know that in some cases, adoption of Apache 2 was delayed by
integration with tools that provide some level of automated administration.
In most installations, this has already been solved but it certainly hindered
the initial adoption rate.

--
Wayne S. Frazee