On May 24, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Sander Temme wrote:

On May 23, 2007, at 4:39 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

 [ ] Revert to "|foo" to invoke foo, and
     add "|$foo" syntax to launch foo via sh

I like this one the best, since it consumes fewest resources in the default case.

 [ ] Retain "|foo" to invoke foo through sh, and
     add "||foo" syntax to directly launch foo

These were the best solutions I could come up with, others are welcome.

However, the indirection through the shell is now the default case and has been for quite a while... I figure dropping it now might violate the principle of least astonishment.

I prefer the first one, but given the circumstances see myself tending towards the second alternative.

+1...