Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 5/23/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> While I'm working on a solution to permit cmd.exe to be launched from
>> a service process within Win32, I'm still struck by the inefficiency
>> here and feel we need to resolve the core issue.
>
> Apparently it is a good APR testcase as well ;)

:)  No argument - I don't want to lose the 'feature', simply offer both
behaviors...

>>  [ ] Revert to "|foo" to invoke foo, and
>>      add "|$foo" syntax to launch foo via sh
>>
>>  [ ] Retain "|foo" to invoke foo through sh, and
>>      add "||foo" syntax to directly launch foo
>
> Just to be weird:
>
> |$foo syntax launches foo via sh
> ||foo syntax launches foo directly
>
> |foo tries to make the right decision:

++1 - I prefer your idea, if everyone else can buy into it!

> Windows:
> APR is busted, so launch foo directly

or rather, once cmd.exe behaves in the service process, we can fall over
to the unix rules...

> Other platforms:
>
> starts with slash and contains no redirection?
>  launches foo directly
> else
>  launches foo via sh
>
> This is expected to do the right thing for just about everybody --
> almost no regression, with neatness improvement (Unix users not
> needing to see the extra /bin/sh hanging around) or functional
> improvement (Windows users avoiding APR problem) for most folks.

Nice

> Drawback: Some people may not be ready to understand the resulting doc.

True - but with your solution, for the most part, folks won't need to.
The ones who actually want to have the fine control will take the time
to read it three times and figure it out.