On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 06:36:07PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> I'm retracting my two proposed choices and going with Option #3 :)  Does
> anyone object to Jeff's weird proposal below?  I think it's the best of
> both worlds.

*Guessing* whether the user wants to use a shell based on some syntactic
analysis of the command line sounds awful.  "When I renamed my logrotate
command to 'super|logger' why does the server start behaving like
<xyz>?"  "Why does my server only start doing <abc> when I use "| cat"
in the piped logger command?"

Having a specific syntax like your "||" proposal to allow users to
explicitly avoid a shell is one thing: otherwise, again: why should
httpd grow lots of fugly code to work around an APR bug?

joe