* Dirk-WIllem van Gulik:

> On 24 Aug 2011, at 13:43, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> * Dirk-WIllem van Gulik:
>>
>>> Hmm - when I remove mod_deflate (i.e. explicitly as it is the default
>>> in all our installs) and test on a / entry which is a static file
>>> which is large (100k)* - then I cannot get apache on its knees on a
>>> freebsd machine - saturating the 1Gbit connection it has (Note: the
>>> attack machines *are* getting saturated).  The moment i put in
>>> mod_deflate, mod_external filter, etc - it is much easier to get
>>> deplete enough resources to notice.
>>
>> Oh.  Have you checked memory usage on the server?
>
> I had not - and you are right - quite high. I also tried it on a
> Ubuntu machine - and that one dies right out of the gate - regardless
> as to wether deflate is on- or off.

It seems that this reflects different approaches to memory
overcommitment.  I didn't see any crashes with vm.overcommit_memory=2 on
Linux, either.  I wouldn't mention this in the advisory, though, because
even if no critical process is terminated due to the out-of-memory
condition, thrashing could still push the system beyond the point of
recovery.

Including the increased memory usage in the adviosry, as a potential
attack indicator, would make sense, IMHO.

--
Florian Weimer                <fwei...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99