On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Christian Folini wrote:
>>
>> Hey André,
>>
>> I do not think your protection mechanism is very good (for reasons
>> mentioned before) But you can try it out for yourself easily with 2-3
>> ModSecurity rules and the "pause" directive.
>>
>> Regs,
>>
>> Christian
>>
> Hi Christian.
>
> With respect, I think that you misunderstood the purpose of the proposal.
> It is not a protection mechanism for any server in particular.
> And installing the delay on one server is not going to achieve much.

Putting in any kind of delay means using more resources to deal with
the same number of requests, even if you use a dedicated 'slow down'
worker to deal especially just with this.

The truth of the matter is that these sorts of spidering requests are
irrelevant noise on the internet. It's not a targeted attack, it is
simply someone looking for easy access to any machine.

> It is something that, if it is installed on enough webservers on the
> Internet, may slow down the URL-scanning bots (hopefully a lot), and thereby
> inconvenience their botmasters. Hopefully to the point where they would
> decide that it is not worth scanning that way anymore.  And if it dos not
> inconvenience them enough to achieve that, at least it should reduce the
> effectiveness of these bots, and diminish the number of systems that they
> can scan over any given time period with the same number of bots.

Well, no, actually this is not accurate. You are assuming that these
bots are written using blocking io semantics; that if a bot is delayed
by 2 seconds when getting a 404 from your server, it is not able to do
anything else in those 2 seconds. This is just incorrect.
Each bot process could launch multiple requests to multiple unrelated
hosts simultaneously, and select whatever ones are available to read
from. If you could globally add a delay to bots on all servers in the
world, all the bot owner needs to do to maintain the same throughput
is to raise the concurrency level of the bot's requests. The bot does
the same amount of work in the same amount of time, but now all our
servers use extra resources and are slow for clients on 404.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Tom