On 01 May 2013, at 11:34 AM, Marian Marinov <m...@yuhu.biz> wrote:

> Actually, what we are observing is completely opposite to what you are saying.
> Delaying spam bots, brute force attacks, and vulnerability scanners
> significantly decreases the amount of requests we get from them.
> So, our observation tells us, that if you pretend that your machine is slow,
> the bots abandon this IP and continue to the next one.

I don't see what difference this makes practically from the perspective of a
bot. A server that returns 404 to a bot is of no interest to that bot. Whether
that bot gave up because it saw a 404, or because it perceived the box to be
too slow to bother is moot, in either case the bot isn't interested in that
host anyway.

Remember we're talking about bots, not people. Bots don't get bored, they don't
get "dismayed" or "disillusioned", they just crack on with the job they've been
given to do, massively, in parallel.

I think bots would prefer it if servers it wasn't interested in returned
nothing, as it means less incoming traffic for the bot to process, and
potentially a lower chance that the bot would be discovered.

Regards,
Graham