On 8/25/2015 10:11 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Again, if the slotmem exists and is persisted, the assumption
> is that THAT is what the admin wants, and when Apache restarts,
> THAT is the running config they desire. If there are changes
> to the reverse proxy setup, the assumption must be we are
> starting from scratch; There are, iirc, a number of places where
> these kinds of checks are done. Trying to somehow "merge" a just-changed
> file config and a running config (based on an older file config
> with dynamic changes) is nasty and tough to do correctly.

This is a common problem with serialization. The persisted config is
serialized data of what is in memory. It can only represent the
"version" of the conf file that created it. If you change the conf,
deserialization should fail because there could be other material
changes that might get in the way.

I'm +1 on the idea that using bgrowth space to add stuff via
conf+graceful restart should be avoided.

--
Daniel Ruggeri