On 04/09/15 15:59, Kaspar Brand wrote:
> On 02.09.2015 01:54, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> On 08/30/2015 02:30 AM, Kaspar Brand wrote:
>>> today's situation, because this assessment misses the fact that with the
>>> current RFC-6066-based implementation, stapling can't fully achieve the
>>> goal of obviating OCSP queries for the clients - all publicly trusted
>>> CAs use hierarchies with at least two tiers these days, so effectively
>>> RFC 6961 support would be needed.
>> I plead ignorance, but I don't see that "can't fully achieve" is a blocker.
>
> It's not a blocker, sure, but on the other hand, the benefit of enabling
> stapling by default isn't that big either - as long as browsers don't
> hard-fail when OCSP information isn't available.

Kaspar,

Today, roughly 25% of HTTPS servers on the Internet have OCSP stapling
enabled.  Browsers aren't likely to start hard-failing by default until
that % is a lot higher.

The vast majority of the servers that have OCSP stapling enabled are
running IIS.  I claim that this is due to the fact that IIS enables OCSP
stapling by default.

If we don't enable OCSP stapling by default in httpd, how are we going
to increase that % ?

> The "speed, speed,
> speed" argument (coming mostly from the browser vendors) isn't too
> convincing to me neither, as OCSP replies are usually cached for one
> or two days, and the typical user doesn't connect to thousands of
> new/different SSL sites per day.

I think you've misunderstood the "speed, speed, speed" argument.

If an OCSP response is delivered via stapling, then there's no need for
the browser to block the TLS handshake whilst it obtains an OCSP
response directly from the CA's OCSP responder.

Stapling provides a noticeable speedup even if the browser never caches
OCSP responses.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist