I read the spec as H2c and HTTP/1.1 are equivalent protocols. Handling
authentication *after* switching should work just like when not switching.

As client I would like to switch as soon as possible, as at that point I can
start multiple requests.. potentially with their own auth, using the same or
different realms; or even different auth schemes.

I don't think we should require all auth to happen on HTTP/1.1.

With equivalent protocols we should switch as soon as possible... I don't
think servers should be configured as H2c only for authenticated users.
Especially if they also allow H2direct.

        Bert