> Am 29.12.2016 um 01:40 schrieb Yehuda Katz <yeh...@ymkatz.net>:
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:35 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
> Our adoption is *broadly* based on the OS distributions
> from vendors, not from people picking up our sources.
> Yes - some integrate directly from source, and others
> use a non-OS distribution.
>
> I think a significant number of users of nginx add the official nginx yum/apt
> sources and keep up to date that way
> (http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html#mainline).
> This is particularly true because the vendor-supplied version are so old. You
> can see this in the w3techs data: nginx 1.10.2 came out in October and
> already makes up 75% of all nginx 1.10 users. nginx 1.11.8 usage has similar
> trends.
>
> A possible solution to this would be to start publishing binaries in a
> package-manager-accessible format.
> I am confident it would see a much higher rate of adoption.

Very good point. Myself using a ppa for my ubuntu server via

        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/apache2/ubuntu trusty main

that updates very quickly. It already has 2.4.25. There are other people doing
this for various distros. The least we could do is document the ones we know,
talk to people how they see it continue. Offer a https place and visibility on
Apache servers maybe?

Does that make sense?

> - Y

Stefan Eissing