On 4/28/2017 9:35 AM, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
William A Rowe Jr in gmane.comp.apache.devel (Fri, 28 Apr 2017 10:30:03
-0500):
You might have missed my thought here... suggesting that the CMake
not-so-experimental build become recommended for users who want to
build all the modules in one go including the new mod_brotli.

People like Steffen, Gregg and me disagree with you on making CMake the
only way for building Apache and all the modules in one go.

Maybe we have an English->Dutch translation error?

I have no problem with "recommending" folks use cmake, none at all. I find it to be a pain in the backside but that's just me. Others may share this but I will not stand in the way of simply "recommending" it. I'm actually for it so there are less folks new to building httpd having problems because of all the quirks the different VC versions have.

I do however have a problem with any thought or discussion of removing or shorting modules in the legacy build up until such time as it really is impossible to build with it or simply goes stale because of lack of will to keep it up to date which as of now has not yet happened.

Bill, viewing the complete thread your reasoning here should have precluded this discussion years ago when pcre went to cmake, so at or before 2.4.0. After all, it's the only way to build pcre which is a hard requirement, not soft like brotli.

It sounds like you attempted to export mod_brotli.dsp to a vcproj all
on it's own which has never been possible.

It is perfectly possible. That is how I added mod_fcgid and now
mod_brotli to my existing Apache 2.4.25 sln. Convert to vcproj (VC9) or
vcxproj (VC11/VC14), add the x64 configuration, add the vc(x)proj as an
existing project to Apache.sln. I am doing the same thing when mod_http2
changes the headers or sources.

For 2.4.next I will convert Apache.dsw once again and add mod_fcgid
afterwards.