On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Helmut K. C. Tessarek
<tessa...@evermeet.cx> wrote:
> On 2017-07-06 13:09, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> with removing mpm_prefork support for H2 you kill HTTP2 support for a
>> lot of production setups which may consider switch to H2 in the future
>> and for sure not rework there whole configuration but put a proxy like
>> Trafficserver in front and forget about httpd at this point at all
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> Removing h2 on prefork solves all issues that arise when used in this
> context. You don't put diesel in your car, when your engine is for
> regular gas. Why? Because it won't work and might screw up your engine.
>
> Same applies to h2 and prefork.

Well put. Confirming what Stefan wrote... the following appears in the error log
at startup;

[Thu Jul 06 12:18:58.005442 2017] [http2:warn] [pid 30121] AH10034:
The mpm module (prefork.c) is not supported by mod_http2. The mpm
determines how things are processed in your server. HTTP/2 has more
demands in this regard and the currently selected mpm will just not
do. This is an advisory warning. Your server will continue to work,
but the HTTP/2 protocol will be inactive.

Go ahead and build all mpm's - default to prefork, enable http2. Nothing
is wrong, but http:// connections won't transition to h2, that is all.

Building prefork also doesn't disable mod_http2 by default, which is good,
because I would expect that to cause http2 to not be built when building all
mpm's in one go.

The 2.4 tree looks good for tagging.