I would go the CMake route and use that as the primary buildscript for Windows.

Microsoft spends quite some time making this work directly for the last few VS
versions. Start using .vcproj instead of .dsp, still moves us to a > 10 year no
longer actively supported format. Visual Studio 2010 moved to using MSBuild
based .vcxproj files, which work much better from the commandline than .dsp /
.vcproj... But it is not hard to generate these from CMake.

        Bert