But we already have a unique ID in the form of
the actual server struct itself, which contains
all the data required to make a vhost "unique"

The only "issue" is what makes a host "unique"... IMO,
in an environ where the definition line of the vhost changes
between restarts is a "new" vhost and that was the assumption
that the implementation was based on.

*But that assumption can more easily be changed by providing
a work-around for that specific use case* instead of creating a
whole new Directive for a "generic" server UID which:

  1. Implies that the webmaster must know when and how that UID
     is used internally
  2. Add more Directive cruft to an already bloated collection
     of directives.

Instead, as I said, we should have a specific balancer directive
or option, complementing the Persist-related ones, that either
have the config line number included or not in the hash, ala
"IgnoreConfigFileChange" (or whatever)