Thanks for the responses, Stefan.  I understand this a bit better now,
but it still seems very clearly like a regression.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 10:28:05AM +0200, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> Additional example of the brokeness. If you add
> a SSL directive to the 2nd vhost in your example
> - without the new MERGE feature:
..
> > Listen 443 https
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:443>
> >   ServerName www.example.com:443
> >   SSLCertificateFile ...
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:443>
> >   ServerName other.example.com:443
> >  SSLEngine on
> > </VirtualHost>
>
> the certificate is also no longer visible there.

That configuration would fail in 2.4.29 as well, so there is no
regression in that case.

The key issue seems to be the implicit "SSLEngine on" for a vhost where
that would not happen previously.  Is that behaviour necessary to make
mod_md work or is it simply fall-out from the change in merging?  (i.e.
can revert that behaviour alone)

Regards, Joe